Dog food reviews
Dog Food Analysis
Dog food information
Dog food reviews and ratings
Home Information Dog food reviews Frequently asked questions Forums About DFA

Reviews Views Date of last review
1 16593 Thu January 10, 2008
Recommended By Average Price Average Rating
No recommendations None indicated None indicated

Description: Feeding Recommendation:
13 - 17g per kg body weight per day.

Cereals, vegetable protein extracts, meat & animal derivatives, minerals, oils & fats, contains antioxidants BHA and BHT.

Typical Analysis
18.0% Protein;
6.0% Oils & Fats;
2.5% Fibre;
6.0% Ash;
Vitamin A 8000 iu/kg;
Vitamin D 800 iu/kg;
Vitamin E 80 mg/kg;
Copper (as cupric sulphate) 15mg/kg.


Registered: October 2005
Posts: 3953
Review Date: Thu January 10, 2008 Would you recommend the product? No | Price you paid?: Not Indicated | Rating: 0 

Cons: Inadequate meat content, byproducts of unidentifiable origin, chemical preservative, low quality ingredients throughout

The first ingredient in the food is unidentified cereals. This is a low quality ingredient and may be comprised of any range of grains, grain fractions and floor sweepings. Such a description gives the consumer no information whatsoever of the content and nutritional quality of the ingredients, and we note that this only occurs in the lowest quality products. We have no confidence at all that this product contains good quality grain. Moreover, the main ingredients in any dog food should not be grain/cereals, which are not a natural foodstuff for dogs. Foods intended for canines should be based on meat. The meat content of this product is likely to be as low as 4% of the total product. Vegetable protein extracts are a low quality means of boosting the very low protein content of the food, but this is very low quality protein as compared to that sourced from meat.

Meat and animal "derivatives" is byproducts. There is no identification of species, and this low quality ingredient could be anything. It is impossible to ascertain the quality of by-products and these are usually products that are of such low quality as to be rejected for use in the human food chain, or else are those parts that have so little value that they cannot be used elsewhere in either the human or pet food industries. Meat byproducts are defined as "clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low-temperature fatty tissue and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hooves". Note that this definition excludes actual meat. That 14% of the ingredient is comprised of chicken does little to allieviate concern about the remaining 86%.

The food has added vitamins and minerals, but no information about these is given and it may contain synthetics. The food uses chemical preservatives. BHT and BHA are allowed in pet products but are banned or heavily regulated in human food due to the belief that they are carcinogenic.

This food receives a 1* rating simply because we have nothing lower.

Powered by: ReviewPost PHP
Copyright 2006 All Enthusiast, Inc.

Copyright 2005 - 2009 All Rights Reserved.